A bird feeder is a setup positioned outdoors in order to make available bird food to birds. The accomplishment of a bird feeder in catching the attention of birds is based upon its positioning and the kinds of foods which are being offered, as varying species have varying preferences.
They are often being employed for watching birds and a lot of people place webcams skilled on feeders where birds frequently come together. Metal bird feeder is made using iron and glass. They often showcase elevated degree of craftsmanship and are being used to feed the birds in the garden. One can opt for a feeder having a gold brush powder coated finish as it is extensively appreciated for its striking looks and resilience. They have awesome looks and designs.
Some of the most commonly used bird feeders are: seed feeder, humming, oriole feeder and suet bird feeder:
- Seed feeder can show a discrepancy in design ranging from tubes to hoppers and trays. Tube seed feeders are primarily made of clear plastic tubes with plastic or metal caps, bases and perches. Hopper bird feeders look like a house and attract a wide range of birds such as finches, cardinals, blue jays, sparrows and titmice. For the most part bird feeders supply seeds such as Millet, Sunflower (Oil and Striped), Safflower, Niger seed, and rapeseed or canola seed to seed-eating birds. In order to keep the squirrels away from the bird food, manufacturers have fashioned unusual security mechanisms which may deter squirrels from getting near to the seed. Some seed feeders are fitted with means which are weight sensitive and which shut off the entrée to the seed ports as soon as a heavy weight is detected.
- Hummingbird feeders, instead of giving out seed, provide liquid nourishment to hummingbirds in the form of a sugar solution which is usually colored red to draw birds. Hummingbird top fill feeders are in style among bird lovers as they are effortless to fill up and clean and also because they do not need to be turned upright thereby lessening the chances of the nectar being spilled. Oriole feeders are customarily colored orange and supply artificial nectar and are intended to serve New World orioles, which have an oddly shaped beak and tongue. Oriole feeders typically enclose nectar containers prepared either of glass or plastic, which are premeditated to catch the attention of the orioles. They are available in top fill, bottom fill and dish-like designs.
- A suet feeder is characteristically a metal bird feeder having cage-like construction with a plastic coating which contains a cake or block of suet to feed nuthatches, flickers, woodpeckers and various other species of insect eaters. Suet is high in fat which helps to keep birds warm and nourished during the cold winter. Suet logs having holes drilled out on wooden log for suet to be inserted are also very common.
If you are an avid bird watcher then it’s high time you get one of these bird feeders. Pleasure to the eye and comfort to the soul, they are an excellent pick for homes and offices.
Check out the 10 Best Bird Feeders on the market right now:
1. H Potter Wacky Copper Bird Feeder
The Wacky Bird House Feeder is ideal for garden art appreciators, children interested in bird watching, or any bird lover. Copper house comes complete with details like welcoming four paned windows, a smoking chimney, and a porch railing that doubles as a comfortable perch for birds. A generous glass reservoir and large feeding tray make this feeder comfortable for all types of seed eating birds, large and small. 100% copper construction, large opening lid for easy cleaning and refilling, strong hanging chain. Feeder is approximately: 10 inches high and 12 inches wide.
2. Droll Yankees RPS23G 23-Inch Ring Pull Tube Seed Feeder
Now it’s easier than ever to give songbirds just what they need: fresh food from a clean, hygienic feeder. Droll Yankees’ new Ring Pull bird feeders can be completely disassembled, without tools, in just seconds for thorough cleaning, and can be reassembled just as easily. These newest Droll Yankees bird feeders express the state of the art in bird feeders while delivering superior quality and ease of use. The ring pull feeders address the importance of keeping bird feeders clean by using a vertical rod to hold the ports and base in place. Simply pull the central rod and the ports and base tumble away from the feed tube. This ground breaking feature takes the ease of cleaning bird feeders to a whole new level. This feeder is 23-inches tall; has forest green perches, cap, and base; has six feeding ports; and holds 1-1/2-pounds of sunflower or mixed seed.
3. Squirrel Solutions Seed Saver 200 Wild Bird Feeder
This is the decorative version of Squirrel Buster line. The free yellow funnel makes filling the feeder so much easier and mess-free. It holds 2 quarts, 3.4 lbs of seed. Seed saver 200 squirrel proof chew proof and 100 year guarantee wild bird feeder for clinging and perching birds uses black oil sunflower seed and mixes it has 6 feeding ports.
4. Aspects 392 Quick-Clean Seed Tube Feeder
Aspects’ Seed Tube Feeders combine heavy, die cast metal caps, ports, bases and a clear U.V. stabilized polycarbonate tube to make these feeders an investment that lasts a lifetime. A built in seed deflector in the base allows birds to remove every last seed. Redesigned feed ports on the seed tube model have a raised ridge to divert rainwater and perches are part of the seed port. Add a seed tray to attract more birds, and protect the feeder from the elements with an Aspects dome. These new feeders feature a revolutionary removable base. To remove the base all you need to do is push the buttons and the base slides easily out! When a seed tray is attached to a feeder, simply remove the base for cleaning with the tray still attached. It is one easy step that makes cleaning your feeders a snap! Brushed nickel finish, 1.25 quart capacity.
5. Homestead Super Stop-A-Squirrel Bird Feeder 3201S
3201S Bird Feeder has a 11 pound seed capacity. This feeder has a beautiful green river texture that will look great in your yard. You can pole mount (up to 11/4 diameter poles) with the mounting clips included (pole is NOT included). It can also be post or tree mounted with mounting hardware included. The stainless steel spring adjusts to deprive squirrels of feed and also restrict large birds by closing the feeding ports. The large, clear window easily allows you to see the seed level. This feeder’s removable seed bin allows for easy filling and cleaning. Made in the USA.
6. North States Village Collection Light House Birdfeeder
North States village collection large Lighthouse seed feeder made from durable molded plastic. Can either be used as a hanging bird feeder or pole mounted. The windows are framed with clear plastic panes for monitoring seed levels & a portion of the roof lifts off to make filling a breeze. The large tray/perch is also removable for easy clean out. Proudly made in the USA.
7. Avant Garden 8110-3 Looking Glass Hummingbird Feeder
This beautifully designed hummingbird feeder offers beauty and function to your garden. It contains an integrated perch that invites the hummingbirds to sit and dine. Made of durable, tempered tinted glass, you will enjoy this feeder for years to come. It’s 32 ounce capacity offers you the luxury of not cleaning daily.
8. Perky-Pet 325S Panorama Bird Feeder
The Perky-Pet Panorama Wild Bird Feeder features the innovative Evenseed technology. This technology is like having 2 feeders in 1. Two independent seed compartments are filled and emptied separately, allowing the ports to stay active longer. Both compartments can also be filled with two different types of seed, thus attracting a larger variety of birds. With this feeder’s 4.5 lb seed capacity, the Panorama Wild Bird Feeder provides plenty of seed to go around. The Sure-Lock cap system ensures the lid stays in place and no squirrels can get to the seed. Another great feature on this feeder that helps keep squirrels out while allowing birds to have access to the seed. Remember to clean your wild bird feeders every two weeks with a mild soap and water solution.
9. No/No Red Cardinal Bird Feeder C00322
No/No Feeders have all metal construction – No wood and No plastic. The durable squirrel damage resistant construction will last for years and years. The simple wire mesh design helps to protect birds from avian diseases while accommodating both clinging and perching birds at the same time. No cleaning is needed, but it is dishwasher safe if you insist! The unique design allows the feeder to ship and store flat while no assembly is needed – each feeder is ready to hang and fill. This feeder holds over 2.5 pounds of black oil sunflower seeds. The huge feeding area which feeds 15 or more birds at once, means fewer refills.
10. Perky-Pet 312 Panorama Bird Feeder
The Perky-Pet Small Panorama Wild Bird Feeder is sure to attract many birds to your backyard. The innovative design of this feeder allows the seed to dispense into the tray and stops dispensing once the tray is full. As the birds continue to dine from the circular perch, the seed is replenished into the tray so it remains consistently full. This feeder also features the sure-lock cap system, an exclusive squirrel proof feature which ensures the lid stays put and squirrels can’t get into the seed. The small panorama holds 2-pound of seed and features a rustic brown finish. Remember to clean your wild bird feeders every two weeks with a mild soap and water solution.