With so many cookware sets in the market today, getting a set that best addresses your needs might prove to be a nerve wracking affair. However, if you know a thing or two about what to look for, choosing a cookware set that will deliver as per your expectations may be not that difficult, after all.
You need to make a comparison between different types of cookware before settling on one particular model. The choice of cookware will certainly depend on your cooking needs. You can choose between stainless steel, aluminum, cast iron or copper. While comparing different cookware is paramount, your budgetary allocation may have a hand in the ultimate unit that you will end up with.
If you have the money to spend, a stainless steel cookware with aluminum or copper cladding may be a smart choice. Alternatively, you may choose a hard-anodized aluminum with nonstick coating cookware set. You may want to sample glass cookware if you are in search for versatility. A glass cookware lets cook it on the stove, use the same pan to store food in the freezer and serve it on the table. A porcelain cookware is easy to maintain and offers durability too. However, they are the most expensive of all cookware.
If you are searching for a pan that is stick-resistant, go for a cast iron cookware but be sure that you can maintain it. The primary aim of comparing cookware before you buy is to enable you select the unit that will meet your cooking style, needs, and preference.
Factors to consider when buying a cookware set
You need to mull over a few factors before settling on a particular cookware set as outlined below:
1. Heat Conductivity – Some metals can conduct heat at a better rate than others. Copper, for instance, is a good heat conductor compared to steel. What that means essentially is that the better the heat conductivity, the better the unit. In addition, it also means that a unit that conducts heat well will adjust to heat changes faster that a unit that is made of poor heat conductor.
2. Price – When it comes to cookware sets, what you pay for is what you get. The price that a cookware set goes for is likely going to determine the quality of what you end up with. It is always good to go for the high-end units if you can afford it.
3. Durability – Some sets will last longer than others based on the materials used to make them. Stainless steel sets are considered as the most durable.
4. Reactivity – Certain metals react with some foods. For instance, aluminum tends to react with tomato and other acidic dishes, a fact which means that your food can absorb some of the metal. Thus, be careful when selecting your cookware and make sure you are aware of the products it can react with.
5. Maintenance – Maintaining your cookware set is paramount if you want to keep it shining for long. Again, the ease of maintenance boils down to the materials used to make the unit. Copper and iron cast sets require a lot more work to keep them shining compared to stainless steel sets.
Advantages and disadvantages of different types of cookware
Each type of cookware has its advantages and downsides.
1. Stainless Steel Cookwares
- Offers durability
- Relatively affordable
- Maintains a shiny look for long
- Offers resistance to warp
- Scratch resistant
- Does react with foods
2. Cast Iron Cookwares
- Reasonably price
- Exceptionally durable
- Good at retaining heat
- Reacts with foods such as tomato unless they are seasoned
- Requires high maintenance
- A lot heavier compared to other types of cookware
- It’s prone to rust
3. Aluminum Cookwares
- Incredible heat conduction
- Tend to react with acidic foods
- Prone to scratch and dents easily
4. Copper Cookwares
- Excellent at conducting heat
- Quite expensive
- Tends to react with acidic foods
- Requires high maintenance
Reasons why you should buy a cookware set
A cookware set is a must have kitchen appliance for any cooking enthusiast. Not only does it make cooking easy but also brings to the fore versatility and convenience. Here are the reasons you should have a cookware set in your kitchen.
1. Quick and Easy Adjustment of Temperature – This is one of the primary reasons most people prefer owning a cookware set. Cookware sets allow you to increase and decrease heat relatively fast and with incredible accuracy. For instance, you don’t have to wait until the water boils, a fact that saves you incredible cooking time.
2. No Heat Loss – Since a cookware operates on the principle of transferring heat directly to its electronic field, less heat is lost during cooking. Any surface that is not in contact with the pan will not get heated.
3. Increased Safety – Unlike most cooking appliances, cookware are safer to use. The induction stopover remains cool and prevents you from getting burned. This is particularly important if you have small kids who can access the kitchen.
4. Health – Since cookware sets use electromagnetic energy, they do not burn gas that can be hazardous to your health.
Disadvantages of buying a cookware set
While the advantages of buying a cookware set far outweigh the disadvantages, there are some downsides that come with buying one. Some of those include:
- They might take a relatively large space of your counter-top space more so if you have limited space
- You may need to upgrade the set particularly if you started with a few mismatched pieces
- Some units may have handles that are poorly attached and will often vibrate with high power
As mentioned earlier on, a cookware is a must have appliance in a modern kitchen. It is thus imperative that you get it right the first time you decide to buy one.
Check out the 12 Best Cookware Sets on the market right now:
1. All-Clad 60090 Copper Core 5-Ply Bonded Dishwasher Safe Cookware Set, 14-Piece
Let your expertise shine and feel inspired with this All-Clad COPPER CORE 60090 14-piece cookware set, which includes 10-Inch and 12-Inch fry pans, 2-Quart and 3-Quart covered sauce pans, 3-Quart and 6-Quart covered sauté pans, a 12-Inch chef’s pan and an 8-Quart covered stockpot. Designed for professional use, COPPER CORE features 5-ply construction with a copper center, which transfers heat and spreads it quickly, evenly, and precisely throughout the cookware, all the way to the rim. The super-responsive cookware works well for recipes that require precise temperature control, such as delicate sauces. COPPER CORE’s 18/10 stainless-steel interior offers a highly polished cooking surface with a starburst finish for superior stick resistance, easy maintenance, and non-reactivity with food to preserve true flavor. Permanently attached with stainless-steel rivets, the cookware’s stainless-steel handles offer a heat choke to reduce heat transfer, a bolster for added control, and a comfortable contour that caters to a chef’s underhand grip. Made in the USA, All-Clad COPPER CORE cookware offers induction compatibility, flared edges for drip-free pouring, engraved capacity markings, and upscale aesthetics with a copper skive cut away for long-lasting beauty in any kitchen.
2. Le Creuset Cherry Red 20-piece Cookware Set
Inspired by a long line of kitchen classics Le Creuset is proud to present the Signature series collection. This collection offers a fresh array of enhanced designs that blend the very best of Le Creuset’s classic form with the latest technology. Advanced interior enamel is engineered to resist staining, dulling, and is easy to clean. Improved larger handles, makes it easier to grip when wearing oven mitts and also distributes the weight more evenly. The inner cooking surface features a black enamel finish which requires no seasoning to seal in juices creating a succulent and tender meal. For use on all cook tops including induction and oven safe.
3. Calphalon Contemporary Hard-Anodized Aluminum Nonstick Cookware Set, 12-Piece
Featuring a hard-anodized exterior and nonstick interior. Calphalon Contemporary Nonstick cookware combines durability and performance with fast clean-up and easy low-fat cooking.. Heavy-gauge aluminum construction ensures even heating and is hard-anodized for durability. It also makes the pots and pans dishwasher-safe. Interior includes three layers of nonstick coating – two layers provide durability and the third layer offers easy release performance. The long, brushed stainless steel handles are designed to stay cool on the stovetop. Pans and covers are also oven safe, making it ideal for finishing a gourmet dish. Includes 10- and 12-inch omelette pans, 1 1/2- and 2 1/2-quart sauce pans with lids, 3-quart saute pan with lid, 5-quart dutch oven with lid, and 8-quart stock pot with lid. The nonstick surface means you can cook healthier using less fat, with effortless cleanup. Comes with Calphalon’s full lifetime warranty.
4. Anolon Nouvelle Copper Hard Anodized Nonstick 11-Piece Cookware Set
The Anolon Nouvelle Copper 11 piece set includes all the essential cooking tools to accommodate all your culinary needs. The copper core double full cap base paired with durable restaurant tested Autograph 2 Nonstick ensures even heat distribution, enduring food releasing performance and easy cleaning.
5. Secura Duxtop SSIB-17 Professional 17 piece Stainless Steel Induction Cookware Set
Includes 8 and 10-inch fry pans; 1.6-quart, 2.5-quart sauce pans with lids; 4.2-quart casserole with lid; 8.6-quart stock pot with lid; 5.5-quart sauté pan with helper and lid; boiler basket and steamer basket; 3pcs kitchen tools including spoon, slotted turner 2-prong fork. Constructed with 18/10 commercial grade stainless steel, heavy gauge impact-bonded aluminum encapsulated bottom, build to last for a life time. Ergonomically shaped handle with anti-slippery satin finish, handle is riveted to pan provide durability. Suitable for all cooking source, electric, gas, infrared, induction stove or glass and ceramic cooktop. Dishwasher-safe; oven-safe to 550 degrees F; Freezer-safe for food storage; Lifetime limited warranty.
6. Cuisinart MCP-12N Multiclad Pro Stainless Steel 12-Piece Cookware Set
Elegant and contemporary, the Multiclad Pro line from Cuisinart consists of deluxe cookware for the professional home chef. The exteriors of the 18/10 stainless steel pots and pans feature a handsome brushed finish, while the interiors are mirror-polished for non-reactive, quick release of foods. The tri-ply Heat Surround technology sandwiches an aluminum core in the base and side walls for superior, even heating. You’ll also find solid cast stainless-steel handles that stay cool on the stovetop, tight-fitting stainless-steel lids, and drip-free pouring rims. Each piece is oven-safe to 500 degrees F, and the pans are safe for broiler-use, too. This fabulous set consists of basics and more. The 1-1/2- and 3-quart saucepans with lids take care of everything from oatmeal to bechamel sauce, and the veggie steamer insert with its own lid fits the larger saucepan. Also included are 8- and 10-inch open skillets that turn out perfect grilled cheese, hamburgers, and crepes; 3-1/2-quart covered saute pan with a helper handle, great for braising meats and cooking fish fillets; and an 8-quart covered stockpot for stews and soups. Dishwasher-safe, this set has no coatings to flake off or plastic to melt, and will surely be passed down to the next generation. Cuisinart covers the Multiclad Pro set with a lifetime limited warranty against defects.
7. Rachael Ray Hard Anodized Nonstick Dishwasher Safe 14-Piece Cookware Set
Fun is the name of the game when making favorite recipes with this versatile Rachael Ray cookware set. Try her White Chili with Nacho Top, first browning turkey in the saute pan, then adding the other ingredients to concoct a simmering white chili that finishes in the oven with a crunchy nacho topping. Or try another Rachael Ray favorite, Cheese Fry Chili Burger. Start browning the beef in a skillet while the potatoes cook in the stockpot. And don’t forget the most important ingredient: fun. Dishwasher safe Rachael Ray Hard-Anodized II cookware is the perfect combination of durability, style and convenience, and this 14-piece set certainly fits the bill. The pots and pans are roomy enough for entertaining a crowd, yet are perfect for family meals during the week. Hard-anodized construction provides even heat, helping to reduce “hot spots” that can burn food, and the interior is coated with durable nonstick for exceptional food release. The tempered glass lids allow you to monitor food while it cooks, keeping heat and moisture sealed in. Grippy handles feature orange padding for a comfortable feel and this cookware is oven safe to 350 degrees Fahrenheit for convenience.
8. Maxam 12pc 3-Ply Clad T304 Stainless Steel Cookware Set with 11” Griddle
The Maxam 12pc 3-Ply Clad T304 Stainless Steel Cookware Set with bonus 11” Griddle is one of their best-selling cooking sets. Featuring heavy-duty 3-Ply clad T304 stainless steel construction, this set is so durable they gladly offer you a limited lifetime warranty. Designed with an elegant but durable mirror finish exterior and a satin finish interior, the pans feature a straight shape with rolled edge, making clean up a breeze. Pans are outfitted with thick, ergonomic handles for a comfortable grip. This Maxam 12 piece set includes everything you need to equip your kitchen with a high-quality set of pots and pans. Set includes 1.5qt saucepan with cover, 2.75qt saucepan with cover, step steamer with cover, 5.63qt deep sauté pan with cover, 7.5qt stockpot with cover, 8″ frypan, 10-1/2″ frypan, and 11” griddle. Griddle features a raised lip to contain food while cooking, expanding its capacity even more. The set includes so many versatile pieces, from the stockpot large enough for a shrimp boil, two fry pans, the wide, deep sauté pan you’ll find yourself reaching for again and again, to the 11” griddle that will handle grilled cheese to pancakes. All covers are stainless steel. Limited lifetime warranty.
9. T-fal E765SH Cookware Set, 17-Piece
Enjoy reliable cooking performance with T-fal Ultimate hard-anodized nonstick cookware. Its innovative Thermo-Spot heat indicator lets you know when the pans are properly pre-heated—a critical component to sealing in moisture and delicious flavor, whether sautéing vegetables or searing steak. When the pattern in the center turns to a solid red spot, the pan is hot and ready to cook. The cookware’s hard-anodized aluminum construction heats quickly and offers long-lasting strength, while its warp-resistant even-heat base distributes heat evenly throughout for optimal cooking results. Use the cookware on any cook top, except for induction. PFOA-, Lead-, and Cadmium-free, the cookware’s durable Expert nonstick interior offers a health-conscious option, effortless food release (little to no fat or oil needed), and easy cleaning. The cookware’s vented tempered-glass lids trap in heat and moisture, while its silicone stay-cool handles come riveted for strength, offer a secure and comfortable grip, and have end holes for optional hanging storage. Oven safe up to 400 degrees F (lids up to 350 degrees F) and dishwasher-safe, the T-fal Ultimate 17-piece set includes 8-inch and 10.25-inch fry pans; an 11.5-inch fry pan with lid; a 10.25-inch square griddle; 1-quart, 2-quart, and 3-quart sauce pans with lids; a 3.5-quart deep saute; a 5-quart dutch oven with lid; a 3-quart steamer insert with two side handles; and a one egg wonder pan. With T-fal Ultimate, you’ll be ready for anything—from making delicious dinners during the week to cooking up a storm for the holidays or entertaining year-round.
10. Cooks Standard NC-00232 12-Piece Multi-Ply Clad Stainless-Steel Cookware Set
Multi-Ply Clad metal construction is a combination of 18/10 stainless steel with a multi-element aluminum core. The interior surface of the cookware provides a smooth, hard layer of premium-grade 18/10 stainless steel. Stay-Cool Handles with Air-Flow Technology. Riveted for strength and provide an open V-shaped design with air-flow technology that keeps the handle cooler and more comfortable to hold. Induction compatible, can be used any type of stovetop, gas, electric, ceramic glass; Oven-safe up to 500 degrees Fahrenheit, Dishwasher safe.
11. T-fal C836SC Ultimate Stainless Steel Copper Bottom Cookware Set , 12-Pieces
A nice alternative to nonstick and lighter in weight than cast iron, T-fal Ultimate Stainless-Steel Copper-Bottom cookware delivers optimal cooking results and long-lasting performance—all in a sleek, modern design that looks beautiful in any kitchen. The durable stainless-steel cookware features a multi-layer base, which includes a thick-gauge aluminum core bonded between two layers of stainless steel, along with copper heat channels on the bottom. The result: enhanced overall strength, supreme warp-resistance, and ultra-fast, even heat distribution throughout. The cookware can be used on any stovetop, including induction, and it’s oven safe up to 500 degrees F for added versatility. Even more, the cookware’s ergonomically designed stainless-steel handles offer a secure, comfortable grip and are riveted for strength, while vented glass lids trap in heat and moisture and make it easy to check on food at a glance. Other highlights include interior measuring marks, gently flared rims, easy dishwasher-safe cleaning, and a polished stainless-steel exterior for a gleaming sense of sophistication. As part of the T-fal Ultimate line of cookware, this 12-piece set includes 8-inch and 10.5-inch fry pans; 1-quart, 2-quart, and 3-quart sauce pans; a 5.5-quart covered dutch oven; and a stainless-steel spoon and slotted turner. From family dinners to holiday entertaining, get ready to feel inspired.
12. Magma Products A10-360L-IND 10 Piece Gourmet Nesting Stainless Steel Cookware Set
Magma A10-360L-IND 10 Piece Gourmet Nesting Stainless Steel Cookware, Induction Cooktops. Magma Cookware was selected as a Practical Sailor Magazine’s “Gear of the Year & Editor’s Choice” award. Magma’s Cookware was also a recipient of the Good Sam’s Club “Product of the Month” award. Nests and stores in less than 1/2 cu. ft. of cabinet space. 8-10 Stainless Steel with a Ferromagnetic Stainless Steel base for use on Induction cooking systems. Encapsulated Tri-Clad (Stainless Steel, Aluminum, Magnetic-Stainless Steel) bottoms are milled perfectly flat for perfect heat distribution. Thumb Release Trigger Handles easily attach and detach with just one hand. Oven and dishwasher safe.
You May Also Like: