Drills are designed for contractor use, common homeowner projects, and specific applications. Corded drills include drill/driver units, hammer drills, rotary hammer drills, and angle drills.
Corded drill safety depends partially on the positioning and design of the handle. Different handle styles can also make the unit more comfortable to operate.
Even though a basic drill can perform most jobs, certain features make those jobs easier to do, faster to complete, and simpler to manage.
Users can customize the speed of the drill rotation for fast or slow boring. Generally, hard materials require slow speeds while softer materials can accommodate faster speeds. Some drills offer speed locks or speed stops to limit fluctuations.
Screws and bits can be backed out for cleaner holes. This feature also helps when screws hit dense pockets of wood and refuse to travel farther.
Some models allow users to adjust the drill’s rotational force for different materials. Adjustable torque settings reduce the risk of damaging materials or stripping screws. In general, higher speeds equate to lower torque.
Speed and torque combine to give the corded drill’s total power. Powers is measured in Units Watts Out, UWO, where higher UWOs yield better performance. Heavy duty drills typically have higher amperage for more power.
An adjustable clutch changes based on the amount of resistance the screw receives. When the drill reaches a pre-established clutch stop, the rotation stops. These settings keep hole depths consistent.
Longer power cords provide greater flexibility in the work setting, but they can also pose tripping hazards and safety issues. The proper cord length should fit the job without being cumbersome. Most electric drill cords are between 6 feet and 25 feet long.
Rotating side handles provide the user with a steadier grip and customizable working angles.
Power Drill Weight
Lightweight drills are easier to manage but may be suitable for only routine home applications. Heavier drills often yield more power for tough jobs.
Many corded drills feature storage areas or magnetic pads to hold bits, screws, and chuck keys. Drills often come with cloth, plastic, or metal cases, so customers can store them when they are not being used.
Check out the 12 Best Corded Drills on the market right now:
1. Bosch 1030VSR 7.5 Amp 3/8-Inch Drill
- 7.5-amp motor delivers 0-2100 rpm for high speed applications
- The all ball and roller bearings provide a smooth delivery of power
- The keyed chuck has ground and hardened jaws for heavy-duty work
- This tool also has metal housing for durability, soft grip handle and 2-finger trigger for comfort
- Includes 360-degree auxiliary handle and chuck key
2. Makita DS4000 9 Amp 1/2-Inch Drill
- The aggressive torque will meet any challenge with 9 amps of power and 500 rpm
- We like that the D-handle can rotate 360 degrees, giving you a sure grip in any position
- Another plus: the generous size of the trigger switch
- The foot-long pipe handle with its rubberized grip offers superb control and even better ergonomics
- The all-metal motor housing built to take job site abuse, yet surprisingly lightweight at just under 9 pounds
- Maintenance is minimal: just check the external carbon brushes periodically
- This workhorse will do the job for you for many years to come
3. DEWALT DW130V 9 Amp 1/2-Inch Drill
- Built for rugged applications where high torque is required
- With spade handle is ideal for drilling applications that require downward pressure
- Three-position side and two-position rear handles are adjustable so you can move them to ensure proper leverage
- It produces up to 550 RPM of torque to efficiently meet the needs of a wide variety of applications, including drilling and mixing paint and drywall mud
- 9.0 amp, 120 volt motor provides enough power for any job site
- Rear spade and side handles provide greater control for all drilling and mixing applications
- Variable speed reversible switch reduces air bubbles when mixing mud
- Soft grip handle provides superior comfort and ergonomics
4. Makita DP4000 7 Amp 1/2-Inch Drill
- Powerful 7.0 AMP motor for heavy duty industrial performance
- Variable speed (0-900 RPM) for drilling in a wide variety of materials
- Lightweight aluminum gear housing for durability
- Retractable belt clip allows operation in tight areas
- Ergonomically designed rubberized grips for comfortable operation
- Large trigger switch is conveniently located
- Side handle rotates 360° for comfort and control
- All-ball and needle bearing construction for longer tool life
- Easily accessible brushes for greater serviceability
5. Milwaukee 0234-6 Magnum 5.5 Amp 1/2-Inch Drill
- For day in, day out drilling and driving in wood, steel, or plastic, there might not be a better tool than Milwaukee’s Magnum hole shooter
- The aluminum/magnesium alloy on the gear case cuts down on the tool’s weight, and the glass-reinforced nylon handle makes it a bit lighter, too–but let there be no doubts: when it comes to results, this is the same heavy-duty, ridiculously powerful, no-nonsense tool it’s always been
- The shooter is built with a stacked design
- The handle is designed so you can hold it two ways
- Easily reaching the trigger with your fingers and the finger slots add comfort
- The shooter’s top-quality chuck is a Jacobs (the best)
- It’s a two-handed chuck
- The carbon brushes are also easy to access and change
6. Craftsman Bolt On Corded Drill
- Designed and built to deliver reliable consistently solid performances
- Featuring multiple tension settings, it delivers precision driving action, without stripping fasteners, while the quick, responsive trigger and thumb directional switch gives you the instant adjustments you need
- Gives you the solid grip of a heavy duty steel chuck along with inexhaustible corded power
- The driver end swaps out easily with an army of other tools, giving you the ability to sand, cut, and route your way to a job well done
- Powerful 4 amp motor for reliable consistently solid performances.
- All-steel chuck delivers a solid grip, limiting bit slip with every rotation.
- 3/8-inch Keyless chuck accepts common-drill and fastener bits.
7. DEWALT DWD210G 10-Amp 1/2-Inch Pistol-Grip Drill
- Versatile and easy to handle
- It delivers the power you need for all your jobsite drilling and fastening needs
- Variable-speed control, a convenient reversing switch, a comfortable pistol grip, and an auxiliary handle
- Reliable, 10 amp DEWALT-built motor
- Reversible, variable-speed control from 0 to 1,200 rpm
- Soft, non-slip grip and two-finger trigger for comfort and control
- Versatile, 360-degree, locking side handle for easy maneuvering
- 3-year limited warranty
8. Hitachi D10VF 9 Amp 3/8-Inch Drill
- Equipped with a high performance 9-Amp motor
- It is ideal for any contractor demanding a drill with amazing power and reliability
- Equipped with an electronic variable speed trigger with a lock-on switch, which makes it perfect for varying applications as well as continuous use
- Electronic variable speed control trigger is designed for comfortable two-finger operation
- Designed to provide maximum 3,000-RPM generated by its 9-Amp motor, while delivering optimal torque and an industrial three-jawed keyed chuck ensures power is delivered to the work piece
- This motor is so powerful it delivers 139-inches per pound of torque
- The cast aluminum gear case provides efficiently dissipates heat
- Its reversing switch and trigger lock for continuous uninterrupted operations
- Comes with an injection molded case, chuck key and 3/8-inch keyless chuck
- 5-year limited warranty
9. DEWALT DWD115K 8 Amp 3/8-Inch VSR Mid-Handle Grip Drill Kit
- It is versatile enough for common around-the-home tasks and light, job-site work
- With keyless chuck delivers the power you need in a light-duty drill for all your drilling and fastening projects
- Enjoy the variable-speed trigger, convenient reversing switch, and comfortable mid-handle grip so you can work smarter for longer
- With its powerful 8-amp motor, it is capable of delivering speeds of 0 to 2,500 RPM
- This translates to quick, versatile drilling and driving
- It features a 1-inch capacity when working in wood with a spade bit, and it can handle a capacity of 1-1/8 inches when used in wood with a hole saw
- When used in steel with a twist bit, it can handle a capacity of 3/8-inch
- Its 3/8-inch ratcheting keyless chuck tightens as you work to deliver greater bit retention, and the ball-bearing construction provides added durability
- Comfortable handling goes a long way toward ensuring accurate results
- It is built to allow ergonomic hand positioning
- its soft grip and well-balanced design offer improved user comfort and better overall
- It also weighs an easy-to-manage 4.1 pounds, decreasing user fatigue after extended use
10. Bosch 1006VSR 3/8-Inch Keyless Chuck Drill
- It is built around a 6.3 amp variable-speed motor that delivers up to 2,600 RPM for impressive drilling performance
- This lightweight and powerful tool features an oversized 2-finger trigger for comfort and precise speed control and service-minder brushes that automatically stop it when brush replacement is necessary
- The lock-on switch is recessed to help prevent accidental actuation
- The durable belt clip makes toting this easy and hands-free
11. BOSTITCH BTE100K 6.5-Amp 3/8-Inch Drill Kit
- It features a 6.5 Amp motor for powerful performance
- It has a 3/8″ chuck for improved bit retention and a VSR trigger for versatility in drilling and fastening applications
- It has a soft-grip handle which provides secure grip and user comfort and a lock-on button that is ideal for continuous use and reduces user fatigue
- The unit also includes an integral belt clip that securely holds drill when not in use
12. Black & Decker DR260C 5.2-Amp Drill/Driver, 3/8-Inch
- It is powerful and compact, capable of handling tough tasks in tight spaces
- It operates from 0-1,500 rpm, features a keyless chuck for quick and easy bit changes, along with variable speed for controlled drilling and driving
- It also has a bubble level which aids in accurate drilling
- The on-board bit storage allows for quick access to screwdriving bits
- It is perfect for drilling holes in wood, metal and plastic, and driving screws to fasten a variety of material