Dog training a young pup can be a challenging and daunting process. Training a dog who is out of infancy can be even more difficult. The old adage that “you can’t teach an old dog new tricks” has weight (it can be difficult), but with the right tips, training and research, dog training can be a straightforward, pain free and rewarding experience. One method which is becoming more popular now is the use of shock collars for dogs; don’t worry it’s not as nasty as it sounds. Using a shock collar to train you dog allows you to remotely correct your dogs behavior within a second just as a mother dog will do to her pups with a quick gentle harmless bite.
Having a dog in your life should bring you joy, happiness and companionship for many years. This is why it’s so important that you train your dog to the highest possible standard. Understandably, people can get frustrated when approaching dog training. This is why shock collars for dogs or training collars as they are better known are effective. There is so much information out there, unfortunately, much of it is contradictory. This can be very confusing for you and your dog, and may lead to failure. Find a plan that suits you and your dog, and stick to it.
Dog training is a specialized field, but there is absolutely no reason why you can’t do it yourself. All dogs are different. Some learn quickly, some take more time to achieve their full potential. It isn’t always easy, but with the right tools and or techniques, it’s something that can definitely be achieved at home, in a relatively short amount of time.
Things to look for in a quality dog training collar
1. Levels of correction– Much less room for error and quick to use, you need to correct right away otherwise the behaviour isn’t associated with the action.
2. Vibration mode – You want to have the option of a vibration mode before you need to use a shock as this alone is often enough.
3. Sound mode – Some dogs only require a beep or sound mode to alter unwanted behaviors.
4. No standby mode – Standby modes save battery life, but are not ready to use when you need them. The correct correction process should be an instant action. Most products that offer a standby mode need to be taken out of standby before you can use them, this defeats the object.
5. Rechareable battery – E-collars that do not use a rechargeable battery end up costing a lot of money over time. This is because they drain through batteries in a matter of weeks.
6. Cost– Price is a huge consideration when purchasing a training collar and you typically get what you pay for. Lack of cost usually means lack of quality and an increase in the likelihood of problems arising with the device, the main ones being inconsistency and malfunctions. At the end of the day, it is your dog your choice. Expect to pay over $100 for a quality model.
7. Waterproof – You want a dog training collar that is completely waterproof, not water resistant, otherwise it will be broken very easily. You can’t predict when your dog will jump in a puddle or it will rain. Depending where you live this can provide a huge problem.
8. Range – A dog training collar with a short range will usually not work unless they are in your garden or right in front of you. The advertised distances are in perfect conditions with no interference from things like mobile phones or anything else that can disrupt the frequency. Always think of this when you are buying a collar and the usual places you will be taking your dog.
9. Memory – This is a feature that saves your previous settings as well as the connection so that you don’t keep needing to reconnect or reprogram each time.
10. Ease of use – Another key feature, something as simple as possible that does the job it is intended to do goes a long way.
11. Hunting quality – E-collars that are designed to a hunting standard are usually better quality as they are often used in the worst conditions and need to hold up.
12. Trusted company – Companies that you can trust will provide training videos and have a face behind the brand. They will also provide a number you can call and reach out to if you have any problems.
13. Extended cover – Most companies you can trust will offer cover and put a face behind their products.
14. Reviews – Take some time to check for verified reviews from real customers when buying a training collar.
Check out the 12 Best Dog Training Collars on the market right now:
1. Dogtra Brand Remote Training Systems
The 1900NCP Field Star is Dogtra’s most popular e-collar and is truly the star of their product line. Designed for pet, K-9 officer, and sport dog training where high output stimulation is required, the Field Master has you covered with low to high power range for the most aggressive bird dog. This system is fully waterproof and covers a full half-mile range so you can train and hunt in harsh elements. An illuminated LCD screen allows you to see correct setting levels and the receiver is rechargeable with nick, continuous, and pager vibration modes. Nick is a momentary burst of pre-measured stimulation; constant gives electrical stimulation for as long as you hold the button down, up to eight seconds; and page causes the collar to vibrate for non-electrical stimulation. All collars come with rechargeable/replaceable batteries, a charger, test light, and owner’s manual and there are 127 rheostatic levels of correction.
2. Educator E-Collar Remote Dog Training Collar
The Educator 1 Dog Mini Remote Training Collar ET-300 is a 1/2 mile range trainer that is especially made for smaller hands or for situations where discreetness is important. Utilizing “Lock and Set” technology, lithium polymer rechargeable batteries, waterproof floating remote, and waterproof receiver, the remote provides a very clean stimulation without the normal head jerking motion often found in other training collars.
3. SportDOG Brand FieldTrainer 425
The FieldTrainer 425 takes the most advanced, industry-leading technology that SportDOG Brand has ever built into its e-collars and packaged it up in the most compact system ever offered. Ideal for training in the yard or field or for hunting with close-working dogs, the SD-425 model allows you to switch instantly between 7 levels of low/medium stimulation, as well as vibration and tone options.
4. Dogtra IQ Remote Trainer
The new iQ Yard Training Collar from Dogtra is a small, yet powerful, electronic training collar for dogs as small as ten pounds. It features a 400-yard range, 2-hour rapid charge batteries, and is 100 percent waterproof so you can train even in the rain. With 3 different types of stimulation–nick, constant, and non-stimulating vibration–and 100 precise stimulation levels, you can customize the training and intensity for your individual dog’s needs. The transmitter is easy to use and ergonomic for your comfort and doesn’t have an external antenna for your dog’s comfort.
5. PetSafe Yard & Park Rechargeable Dog Training Collar
The PetSafe Yard & Park Trainer makes it easy to train multiple dogs at the same time using the same remote. Add up to 2 collars, one for each dog, for a total of 3 dogs per system. You can also use it as a replacement collar for your one-dog system. With a range of up to 400 yards away, this trainer lets you train your dog even when he’s not wearing a leash. Teach your dog new obedience commands or teach him not to misbehave. The unit has 8 levels of static correction and a lightweight collar that can fit any dog comfortably. The rechargeable remote and collar mean no batteries to buy. Stop jumping, pulling, digging and other annoying behaviors. For dogs 8 pounds and up. Range up to 400 yards. 8 adjustable levels of static correction. Tone-only mode alerts your pet with a beep. Waterproof collar submersible up to 5 feet. Rechargeable battery (built-in; replaceable.).
6. Pet Resolve Dog Training Collar with Remote
Forget other dog training collars which use cheap plastic that breaks when you drop it and are designed for small spaces and yards, this e collar dog training system is of the highest quality and has a super long 3/4 mile range (1312 yards suitable for hunting dogs) for easy outdoor training covering the widest areas! you certainly get what you pay for with training collars and unfortunately most cheap collars don’t last long! With up to 10 levels of continuous or momentary shock (hold down button to shock for 1 up to 8 seconds, great for emergencies!) vibrations, or beeps, for safe, efficient training, allowing you to teach your dog a range of commands. Sometimes it only takes one click of a button to completely change the behavior of your dog and the vibration button does the job for most! Unlike cheap collars, the training system is completely waterproof (remote splash proof) and can be fully submerged without damage! the dog training collar with remote is powered by a super high capacity rechargeable Li-ion battery, fully charged in 2 hours, for long lasting training without having to constantly change batteries!
7. RopriPet Active Collar Dog Training Collar with Remote
With the RopriPet Active Collar PRO Training System© the days of unruly behavior from your dog are numbered! It is a well-known fact that if a dog has turned away and can’t see you, then in his mind you are not there, you don’t exist! It gives you the ability to let your dog know to focus his attention back on you – even up to 450 yards away! With a clear, easy to read, back-lit LCD screen, you can see exactly what setting your RopriPet dog remote training collar is set to – even in low light conditions. With 3 distinct training modes, and easy to use, simplified controls for the dog shock collar, vibration or beep. The Active Collar PRO features a dedicated button for each individual command. No more scrolling through settings!
8. PATPET Dog Training collar, Blind Operation Shock Collar
Patpet p-collar610 is the newest innovative product, and also the first shock collar set with blind operation design. They should alaways focus on your dogs during the entire training period. The p-collar610 is aimed at allowing you continuously focusing on him/her safely. The different training modes are easily distinguished by a single touch on the buttons with different surface designs and concave-convex design around the whole button area. This way the training procedure would become more convenient and eventually more effective. The concave-convex design on the Transmitter makes the buttons lower than the front shell and avoids false operation on the buttons during usage or transit. Adjustable, soft and skin-friendly. Fits dogs from 15 to 100 lbs.
9. Lobo Commander Waterproof Rechargeable Wireless 400 Yard
Train your pet safely and effectively with this collar. Use it to help control problem barking, chewing, running, jumping, and obedience. Great for hunting! Now you will be able to take your companion anywhere without the worry of them misbehaving or running off. Much safer and more effective than other training devices, such as choke or pinch collars. Rechargeable, waterproof, train up to two dogs with one transmitter (second collar must be purchased separately, set only comes with one collar), 400 yard range. 16 levels of shock and vibration, adjustable on the fly, no scrolling though menus to make adjustments. Separate, color coded buttons for each correction.
10. Aetertek 216D Electric Pet Dog Remote Shock Training Collar
Most advanced design: delectromagnetic induction switch solution, on the power ON/OFF switch to ensure unlimited accurate switch. Receivers’ DC base adopt embedded injection molding process, and equipped with high-precision-waterproof ring with built-in guide slot , ensured waterproof effect over 3 hours underwater 50cm. No leaking concern when pet in the shower, swimming, diving and other under water condition. Match and got all necessary certification which meet USA and EU standard, such as CE, FCC, RTTE, ROHS and so on. Multi-functional modes (7 levels of shock,1 level of beep and vibration). Legally use the 915 MHz frequency segment.
11. Bark Solution ® Rechargeable, Rainproof 330 yd Remote Dog Training E-collar
The All new V-ll Remote Controlled dog training collar system allows for perfecting small range dog obedience. With 300 yard range, this device was designed with the common household dog in mind, as the range of this system easily accommodates a stroll to your nearby park, or training in the backyard. They’ve incorporated every function that’s needed for a beginner trainer or novice training collar user. Those functions are, static shock, vibration, tone and light modes, which allow the trainer to receive the best possible results, all at an affordable price.
12. PetTech Remote Controlled Dog Training Collar, 1200 Foot Range
The PetTech PT0Z1 remote training collar is equipped with 4 training modes – light, beep, vibrate and static shock. Improper use of the static shock mode can cause pain, physical injury and traumatize your dog. The static shock feature should only be used in extreme situations and only after consultation with a professional dog trainer. We highly recommend using only the vibration setting – This PT0Z1 model has 100 intensity levels of vibration – more than capable enough to properly train your dog in a positive manner.
You May Also Like: