Buying Guide: What is a Home Gym?
A home gym is a special area that can be dedicated to help you get fitter than you already are. It comprises of a number of pieces of home gym equipment from very simple exercise equipment to very sophisticated pieces home gym equipment.
Where Can You Put Your Home Gym?
A home gym can be anything from a corner of a front room or parlor to a bed room or dining area. A home gym is where you make it and can also be outside in the garden shed or in the garage or where I have mine which is in a conservatory area.
This area does not get to warm in Summer and even if it did I can open the windows and is nicely warm in the Winter. It also easily jets me take my home gym machines outside if I want to exercise in the fresh air.
What Equipment Can You Have In Your Home Gym?
I have listed below what I would have in an ideal home gym, you can click on the individual items and you will be taken directly to the appropriate page on the site where you will see the best lists for all of the home exercise equipment.
This list of the best home exercise equipment will grow over time as there are more exercise machines reviewed.
2. Barbell Sets
3. Weight Vests
5. Weight Racks
6. Pull Up Bars
10. Rowing Machines
11. Exercise Bikes
13. Stepper Machines
You can always spend more and more money on your Home Gym but let’s face it not everybody has the money to go out and buy shiny new equipment. All in one gyms can be great tools to help maximize your home workout, but choosing the right one for your budget and needs can be tricky.
When it comes time to make a home gym purchase ask yourself these questions to make sure whatever gym you are buying is exactly right for you:
Q. Is this gym offering me the best possible overall value for my money?
A. Consider how often you will use the gym, the features you really need, and your budget.
Q. What exercises do I want in a home gym and does this gym offer me those?
A. Keep in mind the type of exercises you may want in the future as well.
Q. How well built is this home gym?
A. Look for 12 gauge steel frame, composite pulleys, and a 2,000lb+ tensile strength on cables.
Q. How user friendly is this gym?
A. Make sure the machine is well designed so that changing between workouts is easy and hassle-free. Look for adjustable seats, pads, andmultiple hand grips locations.
Q. What is the customer service from the manufacturer like?
A. Warranty should be at least a few years or more depending on the cost of the machine. The length of the warranty for parts and wear items is more important than the warranty period on the frame. Keep in mind you may have to deal with the customer service reps at some point or another so check in to make sure they offer quality service.
Keeping all of these key factors in mind will result in a satisfying home gym buying experience.
Check out the 9 Best Home Gyms on the market right now:
#1. Body Solid EXM3000LPS Double Stack Home Gym
- Body Solid EXM3000LPS Home Gym If maximum strength and a weight room full of workout options is what you want in a minimum amount of space, then try the EXM3000LPS on for size
- This multi station workhorse provides health club quality strength training for up to three people simultaneously
- The EXM3000LPS features a multi function Press Arm Station for bench press, incline press, shoulder press and chest supported mid row exercises
- The fully adjustable Perfect Pec Station with range limiters allows users to achieve deeper muscle penetration for faster, more defined results
- The Leg Press Calf Press Station operates on a 2 to 1 weight ratio giving the EXM3000LPS the awesome capacity of a 420 Lb. leg press
- The nonslip, rubber encased foot plate is constructed of heavy gauge steel for safe operation during the most intense workouts
- Always in the forefront of weight equipment design, Body Solid gyms are engineered with meticulous precision and cutting edge ergonomic features
- The thick, durable DuraFirm pads are contoured for lumbar support delivering the most comfortable workouts you will ever experience
- Every pad, pop pin and pivot point feels natural. Both 210 Lb. weight stacks are within easy reach for a quick, safe weight selection
Pros: shipping was very fast, transports well, this product is membership gym quality, very nice and the quality is outstanding, serious machine, very sturdy, solid unit, parts all fit, works very smoothly, does nearly everything, the seating surfaces material is very nice, allows 2 people to work out at the same time …
Cons: assembly is difficult but worth it in the end …
#2. Bowflex Xtreme 2SE Home Gym
- Looking for a total body workout but you’re on a budget?
- The Bowflex Xtreme 2 SE offers a compact total-body workout solution that allows you to perform over 70 exercises
- It includes a Lat Tower, leg extension, abdominal crunch harness and a 4-position lower pulley/squat station
- The Xtreme 2 SE utilizes Bowflex’s patented Power Rods, which provide resistance, or weight, that feels as good as or better than free weights–but without the inertia or risk of joint pain usually associated with free weights
- You can hook one, two, three, four or all of your Power Rod units to the cable pulley system and go from as little as 5 pounds all the way up to 210 pounds of resistance (can be upgraded to 410 pounds)
- Other features include a no-change cable pulley system, an ergonomic adjustable seat, and 5-way hand grip/ankle cuffs
Pros: great service, delivery was quick and without issue, the machine is solid and consistent in its performance, works great and is very compact, sturdy and stable, it doesn’t take up a lot of space, more than 70 different routines is almost impossible to get bored, this machine does everything you need, it is useful for the entire family above a certain age, the assembly instructions are pretty good …
Cons: maybe take a few hours to assemble but worth the time and expense, need for additional power rods …
#3. Body-Solid StrengthTech EXM2500S Home Gym
- A Consumer Magazines #1 Home Gym!
- Simple design, maximum performance and a minimum price were the blueprints used to develop the EXM2500S
- Loaded with 210lbs. of cast iron resistance, the EXM2500S can perform your most demanding strength training routines
- Muscular growth and definition are rapidly achieved throughout each of the precision built, biomechanically designed stations
- Includes: Full Size Workout Poster, Lat Bar, Straight Bar, Utility Strap, Ab/Triceps Strap Body-Solid Brand
- Heavy duty 2″x4″ 12-gauge high tensile strength steel provides ultimate strength, function and durability
- Thick DuraFirmTM Pads- With lumbar support, provides the ultimate comfort and prevents lower back strain
- 2,200 lb. tension strength, military spec, steel aircraft cables with nylon sheath provide durability and low maintenance
- Powder Coat Finish- Tough, durable, electrostatically applied finish ensures against scratching, chipping and peeling
- Body-Solid In Home Lifetime Warranty- Everything is covered forever
Pros: shipping was quick and painless, excellent home gym for the price, very high-quality, the frame is very solid and unbreakable, operates very smoothly, smooth lifting action on all stations, no binding or stepping of the weights during exercises, with a lifetime warranty and that’s always a great sign, super-nice construction, doesn’t take up a lot of room which is great, health club quality machine for your home, assembly fairly easy, it is a worthwhile purchase, recommend this machine to anyone from beginner to experienced for their workout needs …
Cons: there are only illustrations included, no text directions …
#4. Powerline BSG10X Home Gym
- The Powerline BSG10X home gym was designed to provide challenging, muscle-building workouts in a limited amount of space
- For maximum convenience right out of the box, the gym ships 90% assembled and is ready to use after installing nine simple bolts–for most users, the process takes as little as 30 minutes
- Plus, a compact frame that’s less than four feet wide and 6.5 feet tall allows you to use the gym almost anywhere
- But assembly and space-saving convenience aren’t all the unit has to offer
- Although compact, it’s a sturdy, full-body-challenging workout station
- A stable platform and multiple seat adjustments accommodate fitness enthusiasts of all shapes and sizes, while the 160-pound adjustable weight stack
- high, mid, and low pulleys; eight-position, adjustable press arm
- Leg developer station all add up to more than 40 exercises
Pros: excellent customer service, package arrived without any damage, professional gym machine, pretty sturdy and functional, the cables are smooth and transition from one exercise to another is effortless, terrific machine for someone looking to get back in shape, relatively small footprint, takes a little time to put together, easy to assemble and disassemble, it will last a long time …
Cons: there is only 150 lb. of weight …
#5. Total Gym XLS – Universal Home Gym for Total Body Workout
- Discover how easy it is to get fit and stay in shape with the Total Gym XLS home gym!
- Endorsed by Chuck Norris & Christie Brinkley, the Total Gym XLS comes complete with a total fitness program of workouts and workout tools to take all the guesswork out of getting into shape
- With Total Gym’s top-of-the-line model you’ll receive the highest quality home gym with unbeatable savings
- The XLS features: 400 lb. weight capacity for total strength and stability, an upgraded comfort system, pulley and cable system and squat stand, flexible nylon strap handles, padded glideboard with head support, chrome package, wing attachment, and leg pull accessory
- The Total Gym XLS also includes 5 workout DVDs, an exercise wall chart, training deck and nutritional program/meal planning guide
- Exercise capability: over 80 exercises targeting all muscle groups for cardio, strength training and stretching, all on one exercise machine
- Total Gym XLS recreates and strengthens the way your body executes daily physical activities and stores those functions in your muscle memory
- Delivering the optimum functional training experience, the Total Gym universal home gym works multiple muscle groups together and allows you to train more productively
- The result is full-body conditioning and extraordinary results at every level – for the beginning exerciser to the elite athlete
- The Total Gym brand is trusted by more than 4 million consumers to provide excellence in product design and functionality
- No assembly required. Folds for easy storage
- Dimensions Unfolded: 19″ W x 90″ L x 43″ H
- Dimensions Folded: 19″ W x 51″ L x 9″ H
Pros: it’s rock solid in terms of quality, great home gym, great full body workout machine, simple design and setup, excellent purchase for the money, allows for additional exercises over a regular bench, you will not believe all the exercise you can do on this machine, many guides and videos come with the trainer, it folds up nice and neat, fits into a small space, easy to store, this machine is great for arms, shoulders, back and legs …
Cons: it is super huge – 7” of floor space when unfolded …
#6. Valor Athletics Inc. BD – 7 Power Rack with Lat Pull
- Valor Athletics, Inc. BD – 7 Power Rack with Lat Pull for intense strength training
- Step into this “cage” to complete a myriad of exercises… lat pull downs, squats, military press, pull-ups and more!
- You want to bulk up? You want to tone up? Here’s your ticket… a Power Rack that’s built to support you on your quest to sculpting a “ripped” physique
- Has a 2 x 2″ steel main frame; 4 weight plate storage pegs; 4 solid steel, chrome adjustable weight bar supports
- 2 solid steel squat safety bars; 17 variable positions for bar supports ranging in height from 17.5-68″
- Foam-covered utility bar used for curls or other accessories; Solid steel chrome pull-up bar with grips
- Low pulley station for seated and upright rows; Lat pull-down station with plae-loading carriage
- Measures outer 47″D x 63.5″W x 82″H; inner 39″D x 43.5″W x 80″H and weighs 135 lbs.
- Max weight on lat pull is 250 lbs.; max weighs for each bar holder is 500 lbs
- Great for a fitness club or your home gym!
Pros: fast service, cheapest solid rack, can’t beat it for the price, variety of exercises, the heavy duty rack is great, paint is durable, the safety bars are very solid, cable pull down attachment works well, great for squats in the cage as well as bench pressing, easy to change height of barbell supports, provides for safe lifting experience, easy assembly and very durable …
Cons: it made for standard weights, the instruction manual could be written better …
#7. Bowflex BodyTower
- This multi-station tower has a unique and easy-to-use feature EZ-Adjust horizontal bars that lets you increase the variety of your exercises, raise the intensity of your workouts, and improve the results of your fitness program
- The included hand grips and sling straps provide a greater range of options than most towers, and the wide and commercial-grade steel base keeps you stable and secure
- With a tower-mounted workout placard that demonstrates 8 Key Exercises, and a guide featuring 10 more, the Bowflex BodyTower is the perfect home fitness solution
Pros: this arrived fast and flawless, one of the most innovated and versatile body tower you can find on the market, it is really good for the price, offers many more core exercise options, the construction is solid, very stable, the pull up portion is great, very nice chart that shows some common exercises, simple to assemble …
Cons: if you are over 70″ tall the pull-up bar is a little low, fairly large footprint …
#8. Flex Force 50 in 1 Resistance Chair Gym
- The Flex Force Chair Gym is the ultimate personal training system
- Workout solution that gives you your very own personal trainer in your very own gym
- Works out core areas
- The systems packs 50 body sculpting exercises into 1 universal machine
- Sample workouts include, seated bicep curls, biceps reverse curls, seated wrist curl, seated hammer biceps curls, supine biceps curls
Pros: very convenient exercise chair, nice piece of equipment, it has all the functions for a complete body workout, cheapest gym membership ever, the bands and rollers are very smooth when working out, it gives you a well balance routine with little effort to change positions, this machine takes up no more space than a large chair, light and easy to put away …
Cons: assembly instructions are minimal can be confusing …
#9. Thane Total Flex Home Gym
- With the ultra compact Total Flex home gym men get sculpted and strong while women get lean and long
- The Total Flex secret is progressive resistance that comes preloaded in the right and left Power Pods
- Whether you’re an exercise beginner or a fitness pro, you just select the resistance level that’s best for you and then choose from over 50 different exercises available
- For your legs, hips and butt there are squats, leg raises, inner & outer thigh adductions and more
- For your arms and back, try the flys, lat pulls, shoulder presses or bicep curls
- There are even multiple abdominal moves like the seated crunch, oblique twist, and crunch combo
- Included DVDs show you just how fun, fast and easy it is to flow from move to move for an awesome total body workout
- In fact, adjusting the Total Flex is super simple
- Just squeeze the locking pins and in seconds you can have a flat bench to build a strong chest and back
- Squeeze again to raise the padded seat back and you’ve got an incline bench to target and define your abs
- Then decline the seat and now the Total Flex becomes a lower body workout machine to tighten and tone your hips, glutes and thighs
- These lightning fast changeovers keep your heart rate elevated so Total Flex can work your entire body in as little as 18 minutes a day
Pros: the chair is very sturdy, well-made, strong enough to carry up to 300 pounds, easy to set up, adjust for various exercises, smooth motion, covers most upper body muscles, compact, folds up to small suitcase size, takes up very little space, this is a very useful piece of equipment if you are training for the Olympics, best chair gym out there …
Cons: limited leg and ab workout, you can’t get more bands …