So the time has come to upgrade and you’re finally thinking of buying a new hard drive. But which one should you buy? What capacity (in TB or Terabytes) should you consider? And what type? These are just some of the questions no doubt running through your head.
Although today’s modern, high capacity hard drives are not exactly expensive acquisitions – especially considering the value for money they represent – most people are confused when faced with the issue of buying a new hard disk drive. And they don’t want to waste their hard-earned money it’s imperative you do some thinking before making your purchase.
Chances are you’re going to be upgrading your existing system drive or adding in another drive. Perhaps you’re thinking of buying a cheap enclosure and using a 2TB internal hard drive as an external backup drive. Either way you’ll be running out of space so you want to make sure you buy the best, most reliable drive you can afford.
Here, we’ve put together some key points you should consider in the process of buying a new hard drive. They can be summarized as follows:
1. Stick to your budget
Decide upon a dollar figure and stick to it. The most popular models will cost around $80 to $150 for a high quality, high capacity newer model drive. Try to aim to spend all of your budget and think of the purchase more of an investment.
2. Stay with proven technology
You’ve read that a new hard drive interface was released 3 months ago? You’d like to buy it? Forget it. Stick to proven technology that has been around for at least 12 months. That way you’ll get maximum compatibility with your operating system AND your existing hardware. As brand new technology is always disproportionately expensive too, leave the beta testing for others. Instead, invest your money in quality, proven, reliable technology. For today and quite a long way into the future – you won’t go past a SATA drive.
3. Buy the biggest (highest capacity) drive your budget will allow
Investing in hard drive space is something we all have to do eventually. But don’t be fooled into buying smaller than you will eventually need. If you’re content buying a 4Tb drive you’ll find you’ll be paying only a little extra for a 6Tb drive. Buying the largest drive you can afford will pay off handsomely in the longer term as you’ll have heaps more space than anticipated.
4. Buy from an established, reputable dealer with a money back guarantee
Buying from a well regarded dealer or vendor – especially online – will pay off handsomely for a few reasons. Firstly, by buying online you’re sure to get brand new, unopened stock at a highly competitive price. Secondly, you’ll get better service. Thirdly, you can be confident your warranty will be honored should you ever need it.
5. Read reviews and take note of the experiences of other buyers
Buying a new hard drive online can be a hassle free experience by simply reading reviews and making an informed decision before you place your order. Don’t buy online unless the vendor you’re thinking of buying from has a system of unbiased reviews in place.
6. Buy a well know, reputable brand
This speaks for itself.
Check out the 8 Best Internal Hard Drives on the market right now:
1. WD Red 8TB NAS Hard Disk Drive – 5400 RPM – WD80EFZX
- The Right Choice for Network Attached Storage
- WD NAS hard drives are the essential solution for NAS applications
- These drives are cool and quiet, and offer optimum compatibility in 24×7 NAS systems with up to eight bays
- Network attached storage hard drives with up to 8TB capacities
- Designed for personal, home, and small business NAS systems up to 8-bays
- NASware 3.0 for optimal performance and compatibility
2. WD Black 6TB Performance Desktop Hard Disk Drive – 7200 RPM – WD6001FZWX
- WD Black hard drives are designed for desktop PC power users who demand performance
- Give your system the high capacity, reliability and robust performance only available in a WD Black drive
- 2X DRAM cache up to 128 MB (6TB, 5 TB only) for faster read operations
- Industry-leading 5-year manufacturer limited warranty
- Package includes a hard drive only – no screws, cables, manuals included
- Please purchase mounting hardware and cables separately if necessary
3. HGST Deskstar NAS 3.5-Inch 6TB 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (0S03839)
- The Desk star NAS hard drive is a 7200 RPM 3.5-inch hard drive that provides an exceptional blend of reliability and performance, making it an ideal solution for consumer and commercial desktop NAS systems
- This NAS-ready hard drive from HGST delivers media transfer rates that are as much as 20% faster than 5400 RPM drives and seek times less than 12ms
- Furthermore, Desk star NAS hard drives incorporate a rotational vibration sensor and achieve reliability of 1M hours MTBF
- All HGST hard drives are designed to the highest quality standards with field-proven components
- They are backed by HGST worldwide technical support and integration services, enabling customers around the globe to bring their products to market quickly
4. Seagate 8TB Archive HDD SATA Internal Bare Drive (ST8000AS0002)
- The Seagate Archive HDD 8TB is a high capacity, energy efficient and lower cost hard drive for active archive purposes
- The drive comes with impressive burst results but lower sustained write results, which are to be expected in this class of SMR drives
- The drives are intended for use in large-scale data centres where density, power consumption, data integrity and data retrieval are paramount
- Efficiently store more data at lower costs with this low cost/GB/watt, 8TB hard drive
- Enjoy peace a mind with a drive engineered for 24×7 workloads of 180TB per year
- Keep your costs down with up to 1.33TB-per-disk hard drive technology
- Store your data faster with SATA 6Gb/s interface that optimizes burst performance
- Have confidence with a drive that provides reliable, low-power data retrieval based on Shingled Magnetic Recording (SMR) technology
5. Seagate 6TB BarraCuda Pro Internal Hard Drive (ST6000DM004)
- Versatile, fast and dependable, the new Seagate BarraCuda Pro drives are the latest generation of an ultra-reliable product family spanning 20 years
- BarraCuda Pro leads the PC Compute market with the largest storage options available—up to 10TB
- Store more games, movies and music than ever before on a single drive
- Keep up to 10,000 1080p HD movies on 10TB
- Store data faster. 7200 RPM spindle speeds, up to 256MB cache, and the SATA 6Gb/s interface deliver up to 220MB/s maximum sustained transfer rate
- Lowest power consumption (6.8W) of any 3.5 inch drive
- Available Seagate Secure models with Self-Encrypting Drive (SED)
- 5-year limited warranty
6. Western Digital 4TB 7200 RPM Desktop Hard Disk Drive (WD4003FZEX)
- Next-generation desktop performance hard drive designed to intensify your PC experience
- Improved Architectural Designs: Dual Core Processor, High Resolution Controller (HRC), StableTrac Technology
- Improved Data Protection: Vibration Control Technology (VCT), Corruption Protection Technology (CPT), NoTouch(TM) Ramp Load Technology
- Industry-leading 5-year manufacturer limited warranty
- Package includes a hard drive only – no screws, cables, manuals included. Please purchase mounting hardware and cables separately if necessary
7. Toshiba X300 5TB Desktop 3.5 Inch SATA 6Gb/s 7200rpm Internal Hard Drive
- Seeking massive capacity and extreme performance for pro-level gaming, graphic design and animation?
- Make sure your desktop is powered by the Toshiba X300 Series 3.5” desktop internal hard drive and explore a whole new world of awesome speed and performance
- Offering massive storage of up to 6TB, plus a wealth of advanced data protection features built-in, this drive delivers impressive high-storage density and capacity that can keep you moving at lightning-fast speed
- Whether you’re deep into AutoCAD files, animated graphics and video editing-or staying right in the action with your favorite games-this drive delivers serious real-time performance and advanced features, too
- It combines Toshiba’s time-tested hard drive technology with an internal shock sensor and ramp-loading technology for enhanced drive and data protection, plus the advantages of an intelligent Serial ATA interface, state-of-the-art Perpendicular Magnetic Recording (PMR) technology, Native Command Queuing (NCQ) support and Tunnel Magneto-Resistive (TMR) recording head technology for exceptional speed and reliability
- When you need extreme performance to meet tough demands, look no further than the X300 drive
- It delivers all you need, and more
8. Seagate 4TB Gaming SSHD (Solid State Hybrid Drive) Internal Bare Drive (ST4000DX001)
- Seagate Desktop Solid State Hybrid Drives
- SSD Performance. HDD capacity. Affordable Price
- SSHDs are now available for your desktop computer
- Get the speed and kick of an integrated solid state drive (SSD) with the massive capacity of a desktop hard drive
- Solid state speed for fast, responsive system performance Up to 2 Terabytes of massive storage capacity
- Innovative use of solid state memory delivers affordable performance and capacity
- NAND Flash and HDD technology work better together to deliver improved reliability