So you think you’re ready to buy a one cup coffee maker, but with so many on the market, you don’t know which one to get. To narrow down your choices, you should first decide which of the three common types you want:
- Electric drip
- Coffee pod machines
The type you choose will depend on how cost-conscious you are and how much you value convenience.
Manual coffee makers will be the least expensive choice, starting at under $20. These fall into two general categories: drip, and manual press. To make coffee with either of these types of coffee makers, you’ll need to boil water to pour over your fresh coffee grounds.
The drip coffee makers are either plastic or porcelain. The porcelain ones are great for everyday home use, while the plastic ones are perfect for camping and other outdoor activities. Both types require #2 coffee filters, unless you can find one with an integrated gold filter. Those will be more expensive initially, but may save you money in the long run.
Manual press (or french press) coffee makers use a plunger with an integrated filter. To use these, you place coarsely-ground coffee into the bottom of your pot, pour your hot water in, and wait for a few minutes before placing the plunger and lid into the pot and pressing down on the plunger. Many people love the rich flavor you can get from coffee made with a french press, so these can be a great option for people that like a strong cup.
2. Electric Drip
Electric drip coffee makers are a step up in both convenience in cost when compared to manual coffee makers.
Some single serving coffee makers are tall enough to accommodate a travel mug, or may even include one in the box. This would be a great feature to consider if you normally take your coffee on the go. There are also a few models that work with either standard coffee mugs or with travel mugs.
Some other features you might want to consider are:
- Programmability – this lets you set a timer so you never have to wait for your first morning cup
- Automatic shut-off – a great safety/energy-saving feature for those of us that tend to be forgetful.
- Integrated bean hopper and brewer – these hold your coffee beans and grind them for you right before brewing
- Charcoal water filter – which removes impurities from your water, making a better-tasting cup
Also, there are a few coffee machines on the market that can either make a single cup of coffee or a pot at a time. If you normally make a full pot in the morning but want just a single cup in the afternoon, this would be a perfect choice.
3. Coffee Pods
Are you a fan of the coffee pod-style brewers? One big advantage of coffee pods is their convenience. No need to measure; you just use one pod per cup. Also, if you buy the same brand and variety, you should get a consistent taste.
There are some disadvantages to coffee pod machines though–they tend to be more expensive than either standard electric drip makers or manual makers, and the convenient packaging of their coffee is also pretty wasteful. You can, however, find some coffee pods that are biodegradable, and some that are refillable (which aren’t nearly as convenient as the ordinary disposable type).
Another thing you have to be aware of is that coffee pods aren’t necessarily interchangeable, so you have to make sure the ones you buy are compatible with your make and model. You should also make sure that the brands and types of coffee available for the machine you’re planning to buy suits your taste.
Price Range for One Cup Coffee Makers
The price for single cup coffee makers varies greatly. You can find some for as low as under $20 and some upwards of $100. While price is not necessarily an indication of quality, the more expensive models are likely to boast features such as being easier to clean, having an automatic clean cycle, or just operating more quietly.
Before buying a single cup coffee maker, think about the features that are most important to you, then get online and read a few reviews. With a little effort, you’re sure to find the perfect machine for your needs.
Check out the 9 Best One Cup Coffee Makers on the market right now:
#1. Keurig K75 Single-Cup Home-Brewing System with Water Filter Kit
- The Platinum Brewing System is Keurig’s best single-cup brewing system for your home
- This premium model brews a perfect cup of coffee, tea, hot cocoa or iced beverage at the touch of a button
- And offers discerning coffee drinkers the widest range of five cup size options for brewing
- It offers the full spectrum of features including Auto On/Off, Digital Clock, Adjustable Temperature Control and the “Set Your Favorite Cup Size” (4 oz., 6 oz., 8 oz., 10 oz. and 12 oz. option)
- 72 oz. removable water reservoir holds up to ten cups before refilling and the removable drip tray allows for easy cleaning and the use of travel mugs
- The sleek, award-winning design is a unique footprint among Keurig’s line of home brewing systems and includes both a blue lit water reservoir and blue lit LCD display
- At initial set up, once the machine is filled with water, it will take approximately 4-minutes for the water will be heated
- During the heating period the red light next to HEATING on the LED Control Center will become illuminated
- Once the water is heated, the red light will turn off and the Small Mug Button will flash
- Press the Small Mug Button to start a cleansing brew
- Pour the hot water into the sink
- The Brewer may take 15 seconds to reheat water between brews during which time the red light next to HEATING on the LED Control Center may be illuminated
- When the water has heated, the red light will turn off
- The one-time set-up process is now complete and you are ready to brew
Pros: the price was really right for the quality, great customer service, love this style with all it’s options, allows for different sized cups, makes great coffee, A+ on convenience, you have to wait only a few minutes, easy to clean up with no basket and carafe to constantly be washing, it’s so handy when you just want a quick cup of coffee …
Cons: K-packs are a little expensive but worth the convenience …
#2. Keurig® K-Cup® K60/K65 Special Edition & Signature Brewers
- The Special Edition Brewing System is their mid-luxury home brewing system that offers a blend of styling and convenient features
- The Special Edition features chrome accents, a blue, back lit LCD display and three brew size options
- Programmable features include a Digital Clock, Adjustable Temperature and Auto On/Off
- The 60-ounce removable water reservoir holds up to eight cups before refilling and for the removable drip tray allows for easy cleaning and the use of travel mugs
- Single-cup home brewing system for use with patented K-Cups
- 3 brew-size options; (6 oz., 8 oz. and 10 oz.) adjustable brew temperature; removable drip tray
- Blue-lit removable 60-ounce water reservoir; descale indicator; dishwasher-safe parts
- Includes bonus 12-count K-Cup variety pack and Water Filter Kit
Pros: super easy to operate and maintain, coffee pods that fit the Keurig are widely available everywhere, wonderful to have a hot cup of coffee immediately, perfect on busy mornings, your coffee is always fresh-brewed, clean up of a filter basket is a mess, love that there are 3 cup sizes to choose from, recommend this machine to any coffee lover …
Cons: wish it had a larger water tank, the pods are expensive …
#3. BUNN MCU Single Cup Multi-Use Home Coffee Brewer
- The BUNN My Cafe Multi-Use Brewer brings you the convenience of single cup plus the flexibility of being able to brew flavorful coffee or tea using your choice of K-Cups, ground coffee, soft coffee and tea pods, tea bags and loose tea
- Includes Cup, Ground Coffee, Pod and Hot Water Drawers
- Pulse Brew option extracts bolder flavor
- Brews 4 to 14 ounce servings
- Removable drip tray to fit most travel mugs
Pros: extremely durable, easy to use, don’t have to buy those expensive coffee pods, takes up less room, fits into your counter space perfectly, fast brewing, makes a great single cup of coffee each and every time, excellent flavor, the tray inserts are very well made and easy to wash …
Cons: no large water reservoir, wish that more coffee mugs …
#4. Keurig K45 Elite Brewing System
- First cup. Fourth cup – with Keurig, it’s always a fresh cup
- The Elite Brewing System brews a perfect cup of coffee, tea, hot cocoa or iced beverage in under one minute at the touch of a button
- With the choice of three cup sizes, the Elite brewer offers a removable drip tray to accommodate travel mugs
- Includes a Bonus 12 Count Keurig variety sampler
Pros: fast shipping, great fast service, perfect for a small office, simple to operate, straightforward design, includes filter system for those who don’t have filtered water, delicious coffee, makes coffee so fast you can’t believe it, love the 2 hour auto shutoff …
Cons: can’t find anything wrong with this only you have to refill the tank often …
#5. Mr. Coffee Single Serve Coffee Brewer BVMC-KG6-001
- Enjoy a steaming mug of freshly brewed coffee, tea, or hot cocoa with this single-cup home-brewing system by Mr. Coffee
- Thanks to its unique Keurig Brewed technology, the unit allows you to easily brew your favorite beverage, one cup at a time–in under a minute
- Using convenient Keurig Brewed K-Cup packs, choose from over 250 gourmet coffee, tea, and decadent hot cocoa varieties from a wide range of premium brands including Bigelow, Tully’s, Dunkin’ Donuts, and more
- To begin, simply fill the removable 40-ounce reservoir with water, insert the desired K-Cup pack, and select the cup size
- The brewer’s user-friendly control panel offers three brew sizes: choose from 6, 8, or 10 ounces
- The ultra-versatile, affordable brewing system is the result of two power houses joining forces: Keurig Brewed technology and America’s original coffeemaker
Pros: the price was right, nicely designed, very classy looking, nice indicators, easy to remove and fill, love the different size cup ounces, provides a delicious cup of coffee within one minute, makes your tea and coffee in a snap and no prep, much more quiet, cord storage is great …
Cons: the cord is short…
#6. Keurig K10 Mini Plus Brewing System
- The Keurig K-Cup MINI Plus brewing system brews a perfect cup of coffee, tea, hot cocoa, or iced beverage in under two minutes at the touch of a button
- With the choice of three cup sizes, the MINI Plus brewer offers a removable Drip Tray to accommodate short travel mugs
- To operate, you simply add fresh water into the single-use Reservoir, choose your favorite K-Cup pod, brew and enjoy
Pros: great little coffeemaker for a great price, small footprint, works great for small counters, just the right size for a small kitchen, perfect for travel, perfect size for camping, a cup of good coffee in just two minutes is great, easy to drain the inside, no more wasting coffee with a big coffee maker, taste great, recommend if you just want single cup serving …
Cons: you consider the larger reservoir options …
#7. Hamilton Beach Single Serve Coffee Brewer and Full Pot Coffee Maker, 2-Way (49980A)
- For all the coffee drinkers and aficionados who despise the long café lines, dread the overwhelming coffee options or need a fix for those early morning caffeine pains – fear no more!
- There’s finally an affordable, low-maintenance coffeemaker that can brew a basic or premium roast coffee in a fraction of the time and cost as the coffeehouse: The Hamilton Beach 2-Way Brewer
- With stainless steel durability and twice the brewing options as other leading coffeemakers, the 2-Way Brewer doubles as a compact single-serve coffeemaker for everyday personal enjoyment and a full 12-cup pot machine
- Whether it’s 7:00 a.m. or a late-night indulgence, this two-for-the-price-of-one coffeemaker lets coffee drinkers decide the right size to start their day and enjoy the best convenience for their schedule
- If simplifying the morning wake-up routine is top priority, then rise and shine with the single-serve side which can brew a standard-size cup or travel mug-size cup for solo enjoyment
- So much in so little space, the Two-Way Brewer provides gourmet service, gourmet options and gourmet appeal at a fraction of the standard price and in a fraction of the traditional space
Pros: nice coffee maker, nice looking addition to the kitchen, love the space it saves, love the option to make one pot or a single serving, the coffee stay hot and doesn’t burn, enjoy having the choice of pot or cup, not one single ground is wasted, simple to clean …
Cons: wish it was little faster, it doesn’t beep to tell you when the coffee is finished brewing, would like to have a slower drip option to get a better coffee taste …
#8. Starbucks Verismo 580 Brewer Piano Black (011023262)
- This single-cup brewing system lets you use specially packaged pods to recreate the Starbucks recipes they use every day in their coffeehouses
- With its 1-liter water tank and storage for up to 10 used pods, it’s easy to make plenty of your favorite drinks at home
- Enjoy everything from caffè lattes and espresso to brewed coffee
- You can also use our all natural milk pods for a rich, creamy hot cup of steamed milk
- High-pressure brewing system heats up and is ready to make Starbucks-quality beverages in less than 15 seconds
- Variable temperature system allows for optimum coffee extraction and milk steaming
- Integrated rinse function helps keep machine clean
- Height-adjustable drip tray accommodates different sized cups
- Auto-off activates after 5 minutes to save energy
- Easily removable water tank makes refilling simple
- Built-in used pod removal automatically moves up to 10 pods to storage for easy cleanup
Pros: makes perfect coffee at home, biggest difference is the quality, easy to clean and operate, makes a great Starbucks coffee, makes outstanding Espresso shots, no mess and easy to experiment with different styles of coffee, makes great tasting Lattes, you get twice as much coffee per pod, more quiet …
Cons: makes some noise, the pods are expensive …
#9. Toddy Cold Brew Coffee Maker With 2 Extra Filters
- Designed to brew coffee with 67-percent less acid than coffee made with hot brew methods, the Toddy Cold Brew System also makes tea, hot or cold
- The patented cold brew system uses regular coffee beans to create a super smooth cup of steaming hot coffee as is often found in major coffee houses, but with no electricity required
- The set includes a brewing container with handle, glass decanter with lid, four reusable filters, one rubber stopper, a set of instructions, and a recipe guide
- Get more out of your coffee beans, since the coffee concentrate stays fresh for up to three weeks
Pros: a must have for the summer, reasonably priced, it’s very easy to use, makes amazing cold brewed coffee, makes real tasty coffee, coffee tastes absolutely wonderful, perfect coffee with very little acid, can goes right into the dishwasher when you’re done …
Cons: someone mentioned the filters easily clog but coffee is delicious …