Electric treadmills or motorized treadmills are an excellent piece of fitness equipment and a must have for any personal home gym. They offer convenience for those who have difficulty getting to a gym. For those cold and rainy days, running indoors is a must. Walking, jogging or running on a treadmill offers a low-impact workout, as most treadmills reduce stress of the joints. The physical benefits include getting you in top shape while improving your aerobic capacity and cardiovascular system. Other physical benefits include body fat loss, toning of leg muscles, burning of excess calories, and increased energy.
Things to Consider When Buying an Electric Treadmill
There are many things for you to consider when buying an electric treadmill. There are many different styles, brands, and options to choose from.
1. One thing to consider when buying an electrical powered treadmill is how it is going to be used. Is the treadmill for your personal use only or will there being others using it? How often will it be used? Will it be used for walking only, or will it be used for jogging/running?
2. When considering the use of your motorized treadmill, considering the amount of shock absorption and the width and ply of the tread belt can be useful. Usually jogging requires better shock absorption and a wider, two ply belt. This makes jogging/running safer and more comfortable.
3. You may want to consider whether or not you want to keep your treadmill open when not in use. If not, you will want to consider a treadmill that folds up. A treadmill that folds up can be handy when moving it, when cleaning around it, as well as saving space.
4. You may want to consider the top speed of the motorized treadmill and the horsepower of the motor, especially if you are going to jog/run on the treadmill. Also, some motors are noisier than others, so depending on your situation, the noise of the motor may be an issue for you. Many stores, especially sporting goods stores, have treadmills set up that you can try out before buying one.
5. You may want to consider how much money you have to spend on the treadmill, what options are available, which options are important for you, which options you can do without, or you may want all of the options. Also, you may want to consider the warranty on the treadmill.
6. Different electric treadmills have different options. There are many options to choose from. Some of these options include manual or power incline, different types of heart rate monitors, LED or LCD settings, CD players, preset programs and manually set programs, and iFit. A heart rate monitor is important to have, as is a starting key that fastens to your clothing so it pulls out and stops the treadmill automatically should you fall. Many of the other options are for convenience, fun, or a better overall workout.
7. Different stores have different offers and prices, so shop around until you are able to find the electric treadmill that will best fit your needs at a price you can afford.
Check out the 9 Best Treadmills on the market right now:
#1. Sole F85 Treadmill
- The F85 also incorporates the largest deck that SOLE offers, an exceptional 22″ wide running surface that is comfortable for any runner
- In fact, the F85 can handle users weighing up to 400 lbs
- This model has up to six auto programs and two user-customized workouts
- It also has two separate heart rate control programs
- It’s fully equipped with all the programs and customization you’d expect
- The heart-rate control option automatically calculates your recommended target range based on your age
- So you can be assured of the most efficient and safest workout possible
- The treadmill console is user friendly with a vibrant display that includes a message board for clear instruction and feedback
- The information that is displayed at all times include Speed, Incline, Time, Distance Traveled, Calories, Pulse and Pace
- There is also a 1/4 mile track feature and a Peak and Valley graph for different programs
- The console also has built in speakers which allow you to hook up any MP3 player (iPod, etc.) for easy listening
- Height: 58″; Length: 80″; Item Weight: 265 lbs.; Weight Capacity: 400 lbs.
Pros: it is well built and very solid, the belt is smooth and of commercial quality, 4 hp motor provides a legitimate belt speed, relatively easy to put together, incredibly quiet, does not shake at all, the information pad is very good and the controls work perfectly, great tread mill for those 300-400 lbs, two fans at the top keep you cool, the running deck folds to make more room, the hydraulic fold-up feature gives you a little extra space when not in use, quickest way to make sure I get some exercise every day, it’s truly a good investment in your health …
Cons: don’t expect to save much room by folding the treadmill up, hit 1,000 calories or 100 minutes the counter goes back to zero …
#2. LifeSpan Fitness TR3000i Folding Treadmill
- The TR3000i is the perfect complement of efficient, space-saving technology and heart-pounding hardware
- Quick, EZfold assisted folding makes both storage and unfolding a snap, getting you moving towards your goals safer and with less time
- A stable, full-steel frame rests beneath the 20” x 56” running deck, perfect for walking, jogging, or limit-shattering sprints
- An available Bluetooth-receiver syncs your exercise data directly to your smartphone, putting you in better control than ever
- USB Plus data port lets you charge your mobile devices as well as save your exercise results to a USB drive for easy upload into your free Club account
- Unfolded the TR3000i measures 71″ L x 33″ W x 56″ H and folds to 50″ L x 33″ W x 56″ H
Pros: fast delivery, customer service was excellent, a decent mid-level treadmill for home use, short length of the bed perfect for the space, ability to fold it up to increase access to the room, sturdy treadmill, excellent clothes line, good dimensions for running, it’s comfortable to walk on, the choices of different pre-programed workouts are plentiful, the motor is whisper quiet, no hassle, everything in description was accurate …
Cons: there is a delay in speed changes …
#3. LifeSpan TR1200-DT7 Desktop Treadmill
- The TR1200-DT7 Treadmill Desk combines our most popular office treadmill with our electric-height desk
- The one-touch height adjustment is perfect for multiple users and is recommended for open spaces, shared areas or conference rooms
- The desk height adjusts from 40” to 53”, allowing you to find proper ergonomic positioning whether short or tall
- The standard 38” wide desktop provides a spacious working area while still leaving enough room for all of your office supplies
- The newly-designed console is integrated directly within the armrest of the standing desk, providing all the activity feedback you desire, including readouts for steps, walking time, distance, calories and speed
- The dependable 20” by 50” walking surface is equipped with six impact-absorbing compression shocks, supporting users up to 350-pounds
- Quiet operation lets you stay respectful of coworkers while you walk for miles each day without impacting office productivity
- High-quality components suppress mechanical noise and subdue vibration, keeping your focus on the task at hand
Pros: a great new tool in the kit for getting yourself into better shape, the desk surface area is large and stable, table adjusts quickly and easily, not too loud when in use, the arm rest is very comfortable when you are typing, great for working on laptop, the real benefit is health, definitely worth the extra money …
Cons: assembly not quite as advertised …
#4. ProForm Pro 2000 Treadmill
- Take your cardio workout to the next level and beyond with the ProForm Pro 2000 Treadmill
- Featuring a powerful 3.5-HP motor with a ProShox lite Cushioning Deck and digital quick speed electronics with incline adjustability from 0-12 MPH, EKG grip pulse, a wireless chest strap, and a Coolaire workout fan, this extra wide yet compact treadmill with a belt size of 60L x 22W in. is designed to give you the workout you’d pay to get at the gym – and so much more
- The 7-inch oversized backlit LCD display provides your time, distance, and speed so you can keep track of your progress
- The rest of the dashboard is easy-to-use so that you can easily make adjustments and while you’re running
- It’s iPod, iPad, and smartphone compatible, and its audio input (with two 3-in. speakers) allows you to play your workout playlist without the need of connecting headphones, and it’s also iFit compatible
- The 18 preset workouts will keep you busy no matter the fitness level you’re at, and this unit folds up easily for quick and smart storage when not in use
- Belt dimensions: 60L x 22W in.
- Overall dimensions: 72.22 x 33.87 x 57.1 in.
- Includes manufacturer’s lifetime warranty on the frame and motor, 5-year warranty on parts, and a 2-year warranty on labor
Pros: really great for the money, the pricing makes it especially attractive, it is quite large but very strong with everything you would want, a wonderful machine so far, the directions were very comprehensive, the incline/decline works great, folds when not in use is a definite plus, the running part is softer than the ones at the gym, the speakers hooked up to your ipod are great, makes running inside much more enjoyable …
Cons: the treadmill is heavy, the fans are noisy, the lack of setting a time manually and working down from …
#5. LifeSpan TR 1200i Folding Treadmill
- A perfect hybrid for performance and longevity, the TR1200i’s 2.5 hp continuous-duty motor carries your workouts all the way from the first stride to the home stretch, year after year
- The heart of your product, we put only the highest-quality, longest-lasting motors into every treadmill we produce
- Rest assured, you’re getting the strongest, most durable piece of technology available
- The robotically-welded, all-steel frame is precision-engineered to simulate real-world conditions over miles of use
- The long-lasting 2.5 hp continuous-duty motor and 20 by 56-inches running surface perfectly handle your favorite style of exercise, whether walking, jogging, or running
- Go the distance in comfort, as the deck is supported by 6 compression shock absorbers that provide safe, responsive cushioning for your knees, back and joints
- The effort stops the moment your workout is over
- Simple to lift and easy to lower, the TR1200i’s EZfold technology utilizes a hydraulic shock to assist in folding and unfolding the treadmill
- Simply lift the deck for a compact storage position, and when you’re ready, the soft-drop system supports the complete weight of the treadmill as it unfolds for safe, convenient use
Pros: delivery was very rapid, best treadmill for your home, best sub-$1000 treadmill on the market, the machine is running smoothly, quite, compact, nice small footprint, stable, functional, great for walking or running, the set up was straight forward and fairly easy, it’ll make a huge difference in your health …
Cons: does not have a fan on it, the speakers gives poor sound quality, the handle bars wobble quite a bit …
#6. Horizon Fitness T101-04 Treadmill
- Rated by the Treadmill Doctor as one of the “Best Buys” in its category, the new T101 treadmill includes a powerful, quiet motor and stable, comfortable platform
- This is combined with a comprehensive console and Sonic Surround speakers with MP3 input so you play music through the console speakers
- A strong frame that doesn’t shake when you run will give you the confidence you need under your feet to stick with your program
- Horizon Fitness treadmills have more welded steel components, making them easier to assemble and among the strongest and sturdiest around
- The perfect Variable Response Cushioning deck provides the right mix of shock absorption and support for less strain on your feet, ankles, knees and hips
- And the COOL fit fitness fan keeps you cool as you walk, jog or run, giving you a more comfortable workout
- It’s easily storable, thanks to Horizon’s exclusive Feather LIGHT lift, which incorporates two hydraulic shocks to assist you when raising and lowering the deck
- The computer console has a 5″ green back-lit LCD display so you can quickly see your workout stats
- You’ll be able to challenge yourself and reach your fitness goals with 30 programming options that include a manual workout, 10 Step-goal workouts, 10 distance-based workouts, 6 calorie-goal workouts and 3 intervals workouts
Pros: it arrived on time, for the price you won’t find a better treadmill, excellent basic treadmill, plenty of space for a quick run, the motor and track are impressively quiet and run very smoothly seamlessly once started, relatively quiet even at a high incline, has a fan and iPod connectors, the calorie counter is great, great sized cup holders …
Cons: no saved personal information is a drawback for someone, the beeping noise that the buttons makes is very loud …
#7. Rebel Treadmill 1000 For Use With Standing Treadmill Desk
- TThe Rebel Treadmill 1000 is a treadmill base that fits under a standing-height desk
- The treadmill base ships for free and arrives fully assembled. At just 88lbs, this lightweight treadmill makes for easy setup
- Simply remove it from the box and, using the front wheels, roll it into place under a standing-height desk or tall counter
- Place the treadmill console on the desktop, hit “Start” and you can start walking and working!
- Imagine logging several miles and tens of thousands of steps while walking at your desk
- Plus, you can burn as many as 745 calories a day!
- Walking at an office treadmill releases endorphins that can make you feel happier and more productive
- A study conducted at Stanford found participants were 60% more creative when using an office treadmill
- Not to mention that walking more will keep you out of your chair and help reduce back pain and your risk of heart disease, diabetes and other chronic illness
Pros: fabulous customer support, this is a great low-cost option, terrific product and company, will transform the way you work, a terrific way to get in a couple extra miles a day while working, the design is perfect for use with your own desk, it’s super-quiet, with wheels so easy to adjust, operates smoothly, 10,000 steps easily every day at work, improve your health without thinking about it …
Cons: no problem at all …
#8. Weslo Cadence R 5.2 Treadmill
- 2.5 CHP drive system
- 16 X 50 Walking Belt
- Comfort cell cushion deck
- 2 position adjustable incline
- Space saver design
Pros: fast shipping, it’s a $300 treadmill, the price can’t be beat, very nice addition in the small gym, highly recommend this treadmill for beginners, easy to move when folded up, folds up to make room and best of all, has six programmed routines and ten individual speeds, with the perfect spot for an iPad or Tablet, worth every cent you paid for it …
Cons: it is a bit noisy, doesn’t have height adjustments, no incline, the display is a little dark …
#9. Phoenix 98510 Easy-Up Manual Treadmill
- Most treadmills are frightfully expensive, with bulky electric motors that power the treadmill while jacking up the price
- No so the Phoenix Easy-Up manual treadmill, which asks the user to power the belt instead
- The treadmill is outfitted with a heavy-duty weighted flywheel and a sturdy running belt that respond to your walking/jogging speed
- The faster you run, the faster the belt spins, letting you reach whatever speed is comfortable
- At the same time, the treadmill isn’t completely low tech, as it offers a single-button electronics display that tracks your speed, distance, time, and calories (includes two AA batteries)
- And users with small homes or apartments will love the spring-loaded pull pin, which lets you fold up the treadmill, lock it in place, and store it in a closet or garage
- The Easy-Up treadmill–measures 46.5 by 50 by 21.1 inches (W x H x D)
- It also carries a 90-day warranty on parts and a one-year warranty on the frame
Pros: great deal for the price, best for the buck, excellent manual treadmill, lightweight, works well for small workouts, comfortable and easy to use, good for the space it takes up, folds up easy and moves around smoothly, quiet enough to watch a movie while walking, it requires very little maintenance …
Cons: the incline can not be adjusted, it is slightly wobbly …